Thursday, August 2, 2007

The "S" word...

Well, today essentially sucked (I’m trying not to use that word around the kids, but I suppose it is safe here)… I felt SOOOO tempted to give myself something “yummy”… I felt hungry and unsatisfied; I am having a heck of a time keeping up with inputting everything into the calorie counter and when I finally get around to doing it, I have to guess a lot and the results are dismal. What a far cry from Saturday – the day when the whole diet thing seemed to finally click and everything seemed easy and almost fun. Sleep is essential – I know this is a current theme running through all three of our blogs. Being exhausted today put me in a very weak state in which I felt I was constantly battling temptation. I ended up eating about 50 pistachios more than I had planned (I’ll just have a few so as not to indulge in worse stuff.. and then a few more, and then a few more… whoah, that bag is halfway empty! (or half full, I’m still an optimist – sort of!)…and the whole day was simply off: no exercise, still haven’t inputted data into the calorie counter… and blah, blah, blah…come back to me, Saturday self!

2 comments:

Lane said...

It's ok to have a bad day here and there - especially at the beginning I think it's hard to break the habits that we've formed when we're tired, sore, etc. The most important thing is to get back on track today so that yesterday doesn't matter!

Michel said...

As you begin a new lifestyle (i'm not going to call it a diet), I think you tend to obsess on the previous one, because that's the one you know. I know I did...at first I couldn't help thinking about all the delicious chips and dip and beers and second helpings of dinner etc... But slowly you become used to eating healthy and stop having those thoughts. Last night for example, I was about 100 calories under my target, but I wasn't hungry anymore, and I stopped thinking about what else I could shove into my mouth! It also helps to understand your trigger points and by being aware of them, perhaps change your behavior. Yesterday after sitting in traffic for so long, both Lane and I wanted a glass of wine. But I realized that if I mentioned it to Lane she would probably agree and then we would both end up splitting a bottle of wine,and that's definitely not on the plan. So instead, I thought about other things and prepared dinner, ate it, and soon enough I was focusing on something else and forgot about wanting a glass of wine...

In any case, don't get discouraged by a bad day... just get back on plan as soon as possible. The times when I've done the most damage (ie gained the most weight) is when I'm on a plan, then have a bad day and then theorize that I may as well be bad until the next week begins...or something like that. So instead of having one bad day, i'll end up having 4 in a row!